PARANORMAL MUSINGS

JANUARY :: We share more of our favourite haunted locations, further frightening experiences, and some possible fascinating evidence of the paranormal.

Sunday 28 September 2014

It's in the Cards :: Revealing Past Life Memories

Is it in the cards? Using Tarot as a past-life tool
© Ghost & Girl
 "I do not set my life at a pin's fee;
And, for my soul, what can it do to that,
Being a thing immortal as itself?"
 ~ William Shakespeare (Hamlet)
 
 
Ghost hunting and past life regression share a common purpose: To find evidence of life after death, and to prove the immortality of the soul. 

As our collective interest in the paranormal has grown, so too has our curiousity about reincarnation and past lives. If one already believes that the soul lives on after death, then it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to believe that that soul may occupy many vessels over the course of time. 
 
But if we have all lived before, why don't we know about it? Why is it that with rebirth our past life memories are mostly forgotten, and what can we do about it to get them back?

There is a lot of information out there (and by "out there" I mean on the internet, obviously) on reincarnation and past life regression, most of it based purely in faith, and completely untested, of course (at least objectively). As our last post pointed out, even the undertaking of "accepted" methods of regression such as hypnotherapy can lead to only further questions being raised about the nature of past lives and our ability to remember them (assuming, of course, they're the real deal in the first place). 

Hypnotherapy is probably the most popular method of past life regression. It places the participant in a transient state of consciousness through which they are able to unlock and reveal the so-called memories of past life experiences.
 
But not everyone has access to credible, affordable professionals. So, in lieu of hypnotherapy, what other options are available to the rest of us for obtaining information about a past life?

Past life memories are not relegated to just the deepest, furthest recesses of our mind, if the literature on the topic is to be believed. Past life memories can be unconscious, such as rampant dislikes that have no apparent source; physical, such as becoming ill as a result of certain tastes and smells; intense emotional reactions to people, places and events that have no explanation; certain dream events; and "spontaneous recall", a deja vu, or other trigger event that throws one into reliving their past life.

Many of these memories are uncontrollable; for example, one cannot control when a spontaneous recall might happen. Besides hypnotherapy, lucid dreaming and meditation are offered up as alternatives for people seeking to discover the memories of their past lives.
 
Reading past lives is also considered one of the "hidden teachings" of the Tarot. I have been using Tarot as a decision-making tool for almost a decade. I read only for myself. Tarot is a means by which I am able to clear my mind and focus on the problem at hand, the cards suggesting the choice I should make. I then have the option to follow the cards, or not.

Past Life Spread: Eight cards laid out in succession in
a single column, with cards four and five crossed in the centre
© Ghost & Girl
I have never before used Tarot as a means to discover a past life. Since I simply do not have the time, nor the patience for lucid dreaming and/or meditation, and because I keep a Tarot deck handy and was curious to see what it might say, I did it - just this one time.  
 
First, I removed The Fool from my deck of Tarot cards. Like I would a Significator in a normal reading, I held The Fool in my left hand and placed my right on top of the remaining deck. I then focused my thoughts on reincarnation and, in particular, the random dream I had recently wherein I was a young man killed by Vikings on a beach (mentioned in our first post on reincarnation). I then imagined myself as The Fool, walking backwards, moving through time in reverse, before placing the card back into the deck and giving it a good shuffle.

I split the deck (not everyone who reads Tarot does this, but I have always split the deck), placing one half to the left of the remaining pile. The reading came from the remaining cards on the right. Eight cards were laid out in succession in a single column, from top to bottom, with cards four and five crossed in the centre.

The cards (and an interpretation of their meaning) is as follows:


CARD ONE :: GENDER
Nine of Coins
The Suit of Coins (also called Pentacles in some decks) represents people who deal in the economy; professionals such as accountants, bankers, lawyers etc. The people this suit mostly represents are those from the middle and upper classes of society, or people who want to belong to these classes. The coins represent the element "earth", which means being grounded in the material and physical world. The Nine of Coins suggests someone who has "made it" professionally, and who no longer has any financial concerns or worries. They have accomplished their goals.
 
If I attempt to relate this card to the aforementioned dream with the Vikings, I know that in this dream I was referred to as a "scribe" in the employ of a very important person. My skills were so desired that it was suggested I could do even better than this, if I so chose to do so.
 
CARD TWO :: FAMILY
Eight of Wands
The Suit of Wands is undeniably phallic, representing the element "fire" and masculine force. This suit represents someone who is creative and has drive, energy and enthusiasm; who uses their talents and imagination to their full potential. The Eight of Wands specifically refers to a rapid change in circumstances that brings about success for this particular individual. 
 
In my dream, I knew that I was of low-birth. I could tell by my manner, from my dress, and in the way certain people referred to me. I had obtained my employ as a scribe through hard work and determination.
 
CARD THREE :: IDENTITY/PERSONALITY
Five of Swords
The Suit of Swords represents the growth and development of the conscious mind, in particular those events, conditions and attitudes that are difficult and challenging. There's generally stress and suffering involved here, but without it one cannot reach their spiritual path. The Five of Swords represents the double-edged nature of the sword itself: One side signifies defeat, misfortune, betrayal and loss; the other the boundaries one must face and accept. It also represents great change, brought about by distress or loss.
 
I remember that in my dream, even though I was in the company of two other individuals, I felt sad and alone. I didn't feel that I would leave behind anything of substance if I were to die. I wasn't married and I had no children, nor any family that I could think of. So, whilst I was obviously good at what I did, the prospect of my death didn't seem to be such a great loss. I was replaceable.
 
CARDS FOUR & FIVE :: A CRITICAL SITUATION
Knight of Coins & Ace of Swords
These two cards represent a pivotal moment in this past life where two energies, forces or people came together, and whose interaction was life-changing. Card four (Knight of Coins) represents the first of these two, it being overlayed (or overpowered) by card five (Ace of Swords). The Knight of Coins suggests an individual who has the spirit of adventure, but who is also practical and material. The Ace of Swords indicates a new beginning through triumph.
 
In this dream, I was on a return journey with my two companions, although I could not tell you where I had been, nor where we were going. We had been travelling along a coastline when we saw the approaching longboats, and attempted to hide amongst the ridges and grasses, not far from the water's edge. But when the boats came to shore, we realised we could not hide from the Viking invaders, and so we ran, but we could not outrun our pursuers.
 
CARD SIX :: RESPONSE TO CRISIS
Ten of Swords
This card represents how I, in my past life, felt about the aforementioned "critical situation". The Ten of Swords refers to a period of trials and tribulations coming to an end. Once the mess of the old has been cleared away, a new cycle will begin. It represents a painful, yet clean break from the past and its pain and suffering.
 
This dream ended with death, which is often described as a release from the pain and suffering of life. The card also refers to a "new cycle", which may be indicative of future reincarnation.
 
CARD SEVEN :: LESSON LEARNT FROM CRITICAL SITUATION
Seven of Coins
The Seven of Coins indicates that an individual gained rewards from their time and effort to a particular job, or task. It represents a job well done, growth and good fortune.
 
This card may represent spiritual growth in the afterlife, prior to being reborn; that the mistakes made in this past life will not be repeated in future lives.
 
 
CARD EIGHT :: INFLUENCE ON THIS LIFE
Six of Swords
The Six of Swords represents a new phase after a major upheaval, and that the troubles of the past shall be forgotten. It represents a time of integration and reintegration after intense suffering, and usually refers to a journey over water.
 
To me, this seems a fitting card to end a past-life Tarot spread. It is indicative of a cycle of "coming and going" that is evident in reincarnation belief. The journey over water is particularly striking to me: The presence of Vikings suggests someone of European origin. In this current life, I am Australian. That's a lot of water crossed between lives.
 
I am not an ardent believer in reincarnation, although I am open to the possibility of it. Completing this Tarot spread appeased my curiousity, although only momentarily. Like the idea of reincarnation itself, and the various methods of past life regression, it raises new questions and curiousities - ones that I doubt will ever be answered.
 
At least, not in this life.


NOTE: If you intend to undertake a past life Tarot reading for yourself, you should follow-up this spread with another, three-card spread once you've had time to consider what the cards are revealing to you. Place all cards back in the deck and shuffle well. Then lay out the three top cards horizontally, from left to right. The first card reveals to you how you should honour the memories of your past life. The second, how to put the wisdom gained from your past life into practice; and the third card is for looking forward into this life, and what matter(s) need your attention. Because what's the good of a past life if you can't learn from it, right?


For more information on past life memories and regression techniques, try these links:
Three Ways to Remember Your Past Lives
Past Life Regression
Past Life Regression Exercises
Have You Experienced Past Lives? An Exercise
Types of Past Life Memories
Using the Tarot to Access Past Lives
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Devil is in the Detail